Best Hiking Shoes for Men
Walking through beautiful nature and breathing clean and fresh air helps men relax and enjoy a temporary escape from the stress and pressures of the city. This is just one of the many good reasons men love hiking. This activity also helps them breathe, clear their minds, and forget their worries and problems. In fact, hiking is a suggested activity to those suffering from depression, stress, and anxiety. What is more, hiking also delivers numerous health benefits not just to men but even to women hikers.
If you are planning to go out on a hike, you need to make sure that you have the perfect hiking shoes on. Hiking shoes are low cut versions of the hiking boots. The hiking shoes have more flexible midsoles and are lightweight. Nobody is perfect, I have actually problem with overpronation. If you have so, this is my article and recommendations about hiking shoes supporting flat feet problem.
If you love hiking, I am sure that you are aware of the significance of having the best hiking shoes to ensure ultimate foot protection while you are out. Finding hiking shoes is easy, but finding the BEST hiking shoes for men is challenging.
To help you decide on which best shoes to invest in, we are giving you this list of best hiking shoes for men along with their features, pros, and cons.
QUICK ANSWER - The Best Hiking Shoes for Men
- Salewa Wildfire Approach
- Salomon X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX
- Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer GTX
- Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent
- KEEN Men’s Targhee II
- Adidas Terrex Swift R2 Gore-TEX SS20
- La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe
Comparison Table of The Best Hiking Shoes for Men
Salewa Wildfire Approach
Salomon X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX
Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer GTX
Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent
KEEN Men’s Targhee II
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 Gore-TEX SS20
La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe
Fast moving & Trail Running
Dynamic hiking with Medium weight backpack
Every terrain & every condition
Lower budget & universal
Touristic & Provides comfort
Perfect grip on any surfaces
Trail time record attacker
Below you can check detailed information about every shoe in this list.
Salewa Wildfire Approach
The market is now bombarded with numerous brands claiming to be the best hiking shoes for men. It has become quite confusing for me to choose which one to pay for thinking that I might just end up with the wrong hiking shoes, but when I come across Salewa Wildfire Approach hiking and climbing shoe, my inner skeptic smiled.
Salewa Wildfire Approach hiking and the climbing shoe is a comfortable show for much longer approaches without excessive climbing. This shoe offers support and comfort that other approach shoes usually trade for improved climbing ability.
- Breathable mesh lining
- Synthetic sole
- A plastic exoskeleton and adjustable lacing system
- EXA shell exclusive technology along with thick and stiff outsole
- Excellent Climbing Ability
The Salewa Wildfire Approach hiking and climbing shoe make use of POMOCA rubber, a type compound which does not grip. This shoe guarantees hikers with excellent climbing activity
- Hiking Comfort
Salewa Wildfire Approach hiking shoe excels in terms of ultimate hiking comfort. This also has a plastic exoskeleton and an adjustable lacing system. These features paved the way for a more stable and comfortable hiking experience.
EXA shell exclusive technology, along with thick and stiff outsole, makes this shoe highly supportive shoe. This is one of the best hiking shoes for men available these days. This shoe is completely ready for heavy and long approaches. In my opinion, considering the quality, durability, and features, these hiking shoes can withstand weeks of heavy hiking. Men hikers will find shoe support more satisfactory.
- More Protection and Style
This hiking shoe feels and looks like a trainer. This has protective toe rand, nicely patterned around the shoe. This shoe is ideal for both recreational and professional hiking. I really like this brand personally. This has a nice war of adding more style and protection to the wearer.
Some wearers have issues with the weight of these hiking shoes.
The Salewa Wildfire Approach hiking and the climbing shoe is proven to be superior quality and comfortable shoe for longer approaches but with no excessive climbing. This pair of hiking shoes promises unmatched support and comfort to the wearer. You can enjoy trail running, bushwhacking, and scrambling with these shoes. If you are looking for the best hiking shoes, I am confident that choosing this brand will fulfill your needs for the best shoes that you can use during your outdoor escapade.
Salomon X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX
This hiking shoe brand evolves over time to more effective and durable hiking shoes. This is with the help of Descent Control Technology involved in efficiently tackling the technical hikes and truly shines in the course of tough descents. You can comfortably wear this pair of hiking shoes and head downhill with stability and confidence even on wet conditions.
The protective mudguard around the foot base protects the medial and lateral sides from complicated and muddy trails—the anti-debris mesh aids in preventing the debris from being stuck between your foot bed and your foot. High performance and quality EVA foam, EnergyCell offers shock attenuation.
- Rubber sole
- 100% Synthetic
- Time-tested and refined through the years to produce optimal fit.
- This was designed to synergistically work with sensifit reinforced top arm that holds your feet in place securely and comfortably particularly when heading downhill
- This hiking shoe brand also features Advanced Chassis that is surrounded by the foam cushioning for ultimate comfort connecting directly into the sole stabilizing your heel
- 2-year limited product warranty
- Two different types of rubber placed on the sole strategically, resulting in a more intense grip.
- Special patterned spot on the heel more aggressively grabs the terrain offering you with more control especially when you are moving along at a good and healthy clip
The Salomon X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX fits snug, and this hugs your feet so you will feel aggressive but comfortable for miles on the rocky trails. These hiking shoes can be your best buddy when going over rocky trails.
This Salomon model has stiff outsole delivering excellent lateral stability aided by molded shank in outsoles and midsoles. Its width delivers a solid foundation in uneven terrains.
- Great Traction
This hiking shoe is considered an absolute beast. No wonder, Salomon X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX is recognized as one of the best hiking shoes for men in terms of traction on several surfaces.
These hiking shoes are ready for different outdoor undertakings. These are comfortable enough to be used both on smooth and flat trails and can also crush through steep and rough trails. With the excellent torsional ability and solid support, these shoes can handle your light and even your intense backpacking trips. The Salomon X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX is your best ally if you are used to moving light and fast.
These hiking shoes do not leak even when submerged on wet surfaces or trails.
- Some have issues on the ankle protection
- The Quick Lace System isn’t for everyone
If you are after quality, versatility, and durability, the Salomon X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX shoes have it all. This is one of the best hiking shoes for men that will never disappoint in making men feel safe, comfortable, and secured when outdoor.
Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer GTX
If you are fond of walking and hiking on rocky alpine terrains, you will undoubtedly need supercharged hiking shoes. In such a case, the Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer Gtx Hiking Shoe can be the best option for you. This is also one of the best hiking shoes for men who tackle rocky and rugged terrain.
This hiking shoe was also built and designed for summit and back. The shoes’ midsole is also known to feature ergonomic and special Bilight Technology embracing your feet and providing longer-lasting cushioning, allowing you to move and go further for longer. The FLEX Collar helps in promoting natural movements of the ankle for ultimate convenience and comfort.
This hiking shoes’ lacing system displays triumph in terms of designs, and in my opinion, this is one of the best I have seen. This extends right to the toes featuring locking eyelets. These allow you to tweak laces individually in every area of the foot. These eyelets are positioned above the feet with more control on the mid-section. Moreover, the bottom set enables you to easily fine-tune the area on the toe, depending on the physiology and usage.
- GORE-TEX Extended Comfort-Lining
- Rubber sole
- Upper-360° full rubber rand, 1.6 mm suede leather
- Insole-Mid stiff-Nylon
- Highly wear-resistant quality fabric
This pair weighs around 2 pounds and 9 ounces, which is still light as compared to mid-cut boots. No one would want to wear or carry super heavy shoes in the mountains. The Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer Gtx Hiking Shoe is perfect for you to carry on.
With these shoes’ ultimately rigid designs, the Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer Gtx Hiking Shoe turns out to be one of the most stable hiking shoes
All Salewa shoes were tested, and these did not leak all through the testing period despite being fully submerged in lake edges, puddles, and creeks. We liked the strong resistance of the upper in terms of absorbing water.
The Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer Gtx Hiking Shoe got the highest rate for durability. This shoe has a protective rubber band wrapping the entire shoe every part of it.
This is expensive but one of the best hiking shoes for men, If you want best value hiking shoes, grab a pair of Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer Gtx Hiking Shoe before this model run out of stock.
- Some wearers find this shoe a bit heavy
- This does not smear well
This hiking shoe is highly recommended to those who are often committed to alpine approaches. The sticky and rigid outsole is excellent for scrambling and lateral stability. Stiff edges make these hiking shoes great options for men hikers.
The Salewa Men’s Mountain Trainer Gtx Hiking Shoe is the most durable, supportive, and high quality shoes that hikers need to have to ensure a convenient and comfortable hiking experience.
Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent
If you are looking for the best hiking shoes for men, the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent is a solid choice. These hiking shoes allow you to experience unique out of the box comfort with the finest and most durable leather, Vibram traction, and supportive foot bed. This is indeed a very versatile package and an excellent offer to men hikers looking for the best hiking shoes.
- Synthetic sole
- Mesh, suede leather
- Protective and durable rubber toecap
- Vibram TC5+ sole
- EVA midsole for comfort and stability
- Breathable mesh lining
- Closed-cell foam tongue keeping the debris and moisture out
- Performance mesh upper and suede leather
- Merrell heel air cushion absorbing shock and adding stability
- Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent has a fantastic outsole
- This hiking shoes perform pretty well in city walks and backcountry hikes as well
- This also guarantees stellar comfort level
- Many men hikers find Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent easier to break in
- Many hikers and hiking enthusiasts love their affordable price tag
- Those who have made actual purchases can attest that this fits true to size
- Aside from hiking, the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent shoes can also be used during workout sessions at the gym
- Numerous adventurers love how these hiking shoes support their arches
- Another advantage of these hiking shoes is the astonishing durability
- The shoes make wearers more confident considering its long-fearing construction
- The hiking shoe lists of benefits also include its incredible lightness
- Buyers also commend the eye-catching looks of the footwear
- Wearer sometimes experience heel slippage because of the insufficient number of the eyelets of the lacing system
- Some wearers have concerns on the breathability issues
- Some also have issues in the shoes’ restrictive side
The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent is one of the best hiking shoes for men that deliver unmatched versatility, support, quality, and style. This package is also reasonably priced. These hiker shoes are also noted for their great longevity and excellent overall aesthetic. This product has a list of commendable features that make men hikers love these hiking shoes even more. The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent is worth checking out and worth buying for.
The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent shoes are absolute purchase recommendations. What is more, this is one of the best-selling hiking shoes online these days. This brand is widely recognized for both quality and comfort. This is what men hikers need to ensure a more pleasant, comfortable, and convenient hiking experience. This can provide enough protection and stability during hiking.
KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe
KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe was built to keep the feet situated inside properly. The lining, nubuck leather, and hydrophobic mesh provide breathability and high levels of comfort. These features, combined with low cut shoe design, will make sure you will not feel the heat even during, ultimately, hot days.
The midsole is carefully engineered to deliver support and comfort. The entire shoe fully justified the reasonable cost. Toe guards are one of the best features of this brand. In my opinion, many shoppers liked this hiking shoe brand also because of the carbon rubber outsoles, which are also the reasons behind the shoes’ first-rate shock absorption and secure lacing.
KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe provides 4-wheel drive performance to the feet. This was specially designed to let the feet breathe and keep them dry. From the beautiful beaches up to the city streets and mountains, this brand’s manufacturer believes that outdoor is any place with no ceiling. Keen also believes in living the Hybrid Life. This simply means being part of a bigger community full of individuals creating possibilities, playing outdoors, and enjoying the world around them.
- 100% waterproof leather
- The all-terrain rubber outsoles of these hiking shoes offer high-traction grip in rocky and muddy surfaces
- This brand also features non-marking rubber outsoles leaving no imprints or trace when you walk indoors
- KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe features its waterproof and breathable membrane allowing you to vapor out without actually letting the water in
- The external stability shank provided support for enhanced torsion control and mobility even if the surfaces are uneven
- Excellent Arch support feature
- This brand of hiking shoes is reasonably priced
- Don’t leave imprints, traces or marks indoors
- This is waterproof so it can withstand wet surfaces
- This guarantees improved torsion control and mobility
- Anatomically engineered to deliver great arch support
- Provides perfect fit and comfort
- The mesh lining keeps the feet cool even in a warmer environment
- Reduced discomfort and irritation around your ankle because of the help of the cushioned collar
- Tread might start to loose after long months of rigorous use
- May not suit the taste and preference of other hikers
The KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe has more strong points than the weak points. This simply means that this is capable of maintaining its spot in the list of best hiking shoes for men. In my opinion, these heavy duty hiking shoes are loved by many because unlike other brands, the KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe allows wearers to customize their fit. This brand of hiking shoes is recommended for hikers with wider feet and those hikers looking for reasonably priced hiking shoes.
KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe is indeed a solid investment for hikers who are seeking to extend their horizons. This is a great addition to their quality hiking shoes in addition. The style, features, materials, and the overall quality of these hiking shoes will surely convince shoppers to buy.
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 Gore-TEX SS20
This is also one of the best hiking shoes for men available online. The shoes are specially designed for mountain climbing and were built with amazing abrasion-resistant rip stop mesh and strong and solid overlays for more support and stability. The shoes also feature Gore Tex waterproof and breathable lining and an ultimately high traction outsole for ultimate grip in rocky and wet conditions.
This has a completely waterproof lining keeping the interior of the shoes and your feet regardless of the weather conditions you are faced with. Due to its durability, you are assured that your feet are comfortable and protected even when walking in various rocky areas and terrains.
The synthetic and lightweight overlays and the TPU toe cap are positioned at the upper portion to provide more support and durability. You are, therefore, provided with a comfortable and secure fit. Speed lacing construction enables easy and fast lacing and hassle-free snug and adjustable fit. Lightweight EVA resides on the midsole to guarantee long term cushioning and a real comfort for a more convenient, comfortable, and responsive feel.
Moreover, plush cushioning aids in minimizing the level of wear and tear put in your joints in the course of intense activities like hiking or walking on complicated trails. This likewise minimizes the possibilities of injuries providing you the confidence you need to maximize performance and focus.
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 Gore-TEX SS20 includes continental rubber that was engineered superbly, offering the hiking shoe multi-surface and multidirectional grip without actually putting additional pressure into the feet. This walking and hiking shoes are an excellent choice for men hikers and adventure enthusiasts.
- The shoes come in black color
- Features quality gum rubber sole
- Speed lacing for a snug fit and fast lacing
- GORE-TEX Upper making sure that the hiking shoe is fully waterproof
- Lace Bungee to avoid tangling
- Also features synthetic overlays that add support and durability to the shoe construction
- Ripstop fabric for lightweight and durability
- Superbly engineered continental rubber outsole lug designs offering multidirectional grip
- Provides breathability while at the same time keep your feet dry
- Speed lacing supporting your feet in uneven grounds
- Perfect for hiking. In my opinion, what makes this product one of the best hiking shoes for men is its impressive protection from trails.
- This shoe feels like hiking boot underfoot however in more streamlined and impressive designs
- Lightweight and comfortable to wear
- Great stability for low cut designs
- Durable and versatile hiking shoes
- The shoes come in black color, so this may not suit hikers who don’t prefer such color
The Adidas Terrex Swift R2 Gore-TEX SS20 is light, durable, versatile, and can give you that amazing adventurer and athletic feel. I choose these hiking shoes because this brand soars high past my expectations and the expectations of many. Our review will surely be able to take this shoe closer to men hikers who are looking for the best hiking shoes. We are aware of the very minimal flaws, but this remains an excellent choice in this men’s hiking shoe category.
La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe
Do not wait for adventures to find you. Begin lacing up and wear your pair of La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe and then hit those trails. This shoe is impressively and highly capable of both climbing and hiking. This shoe is packed with amazing features that will give men hiker the peace of mind knowing that they will hike and climb using one of the best hiking shoes for men.
- Strobel continued construction
- Durable and quality material such as rubber for abrasion resistance and comfort even on rugged terrains
- 5mm exclusive PU TechLite rand and Vibram® toe rubber toe rand for additional protection
- Non-slip mesh lining ensuring a breathable and comfortable foot environment
- Designed and improved with a bit wider forefoot for more interior comfort all throughout the day
- It also features a 4mm Ortholite Approach foot bed providing reliable comfort underfoot for all-day wear.
- Traverse injection MEMlex midsole for more shock absorption and added stability
- Mythos lacing system featuring stretch air mesh tongue
- The STB Control System™ is providing torsional support and rigidity without hindering underfoot cushion.
- The “Uber-sticky Vibram® Mega-Grip™ Traverse rubber outsole and Impact Brake System™:” delivering excellent grip and traction on a wide range of terrains and trails
- Offers Combined Protection and Support
This hiking shoe for men offers an impressive combination of protection and support, as well as proper traction on the trail. I am choosing this hiking shoe for hiking. Many would agree that these hiking shoes will not fail to protect your feet against snow, ice, dirt, mud, and more. If I were to wear this during hiking, I can certainly felt secure even if I will go across complicated terrains.
- Excels in Climbing
With the quality leather upper, sticky and stiff sole and very generous rand positioned on the foot base, the La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe certainly excels in climbing, including technical rock.
- Breathability and Waterproofing
The La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe offers enough water resistance without really putting breathability at compromise. Though these shoes do not include a waterproof membrane like that on La Sportiva TX4 MID GTX and Salewa Mountain Trainer GTX, many who have worn these shoes are truly impressed. Moreover, the water instantly beads up into the leather instead of seeping through, particularly during snowy hikes.
- Comfortable to Use
No one would want to hike with hiking shoes that are heavy and will just make him or her experience discomfort. La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe is uniquely different. These shoes are completely comfortable to use.
- These shoes may not suit the taste of other hikers
- Some have issues on the color and design of these shoes
The La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe is a solid investment for men hikers. These shoes were expertly designed and enhanced to ensure that it will meet the demands of even the most discerning demands of men hikers. There might be numerous options available in the market today, but if you want the best hiking shoes for men, the La Sportiva TX4 Approach Shoe is an excellent choice for you.
How To Choose Best Hiking Shoes?
Stomping Into the woods on a hike can become more exciting with every step. But let me ask you, “are your feet also excited as you? Your feet will be mostly at work during a hike, so I must say that it is vital to choose the best hiking shoes with the right padding and the ultimate protection provided.
But many would agree that choosing the best hiking shoes is not always easy. Starting from the style, size, design to materials, and what really feels good on your feet, you need more time to take this into consideration before you make the final purchase.
Whether you are planning to hike the tallest mountain or just want to hike and explore the national park nearby, choosing hiking shoes can make or break your hiking experience. To get everything right, you need to find the best hiking shoes for your exact needs and intended purposes.
Choose Hiking Shoes Based on the Shape of your Foot
Not all feet can fit within the standard feet sizes. You might, therefore, find your feet requiring custom insole. This tends to add up to the original size and helps you achieve a perfect fit. Insoles are also proven to be helpful, especially if you have collapsed or low arches and one foot that is longer than the other. Insoles also help if your heel is slipping. If you need shoes with bigger toe box I Write here about this. The better and more comfortable the hiking shoes fit; the better technology would work in protecting you in the trail.
Consider Your Needs
When choosing hiking shoes, you must clearly understand the time duration that you are likely to be on your feet, your terrain, and the general condition of the weather. If you just hire occasionally for a few hours in your local trail, you might just need lightweight hiking shoes.
You also need to consider the type of terrain you will be on. If you are hiking across mud and rocks, you need to choose hiking shoes crafted from the finest and most durable materials that can withstand such surfaces. The type of terrain will not just pose impacts on wear and tear. This will also dictate the exact hiking shoe features that you may need.
How Should Hiking Shoes Fit?
No one would want to own a pair of uncomfortable and ill-fitting hiking shoes. You need to have shoes that would fit snug everywhere and provide room to wiggle the toes. The significance of getting the best hiking shoes can’t be overstated.
A quarter of bones in your body can be found in your feet, and soles got nerve endings in every square centimeter than the other parts of your body. On a hiking day, your feet will be subjected to pressure and force, so it is vital to have the best possible hiking shoes that guarantee the most comfortable fit.
I have experienced ending up with the wrong hiking shoes, and do you know what happens? The shoes cause blisters and misery during the trail. I realized that your choice of hiking shoes could really make or break the entire experience. It helps to find a pair of hiking shoes that are not too tight or too loose. Hiking shoes shouldn’t be very tight that feet become hot, and toes are pinched inward.
So, How Should Your Hiking Shoes Fit?
Fit is one of the most important aspects. If your feet are positioned firmly inside the hiking shoe, you then need to put your weight into the front of your foot. You must be able to easily fit your index finger between the back of your shoe and your heel.
Width-wise, the hiking shoe must feel snug; however, it should not be tight at the most part of forefoot or the ball. There shouldn’t be pinching on the heel, and there shouldn’t be anything uncomfortable in your ankle bones.
To get the best hiking shoes, remember that fit is everything. Great fitting hiking shoes have better features and provide a fit that will comfortably and securely hold your foot with no hot spots and without constriction.
Wearing the Right Hiking Socks Also Matter
Those familiar socks help you in assessing the feel and fit of the new footwear easily. Ensure that the socks’ thickness matches the shoes that you would wear. On the trail, better opt for synthetic instead of slow-drying socks made of cotton that is more likely to result in blisters.
What Is The Difference Between Shoes And Boots?
For many years, there have been lots of confusion and arguments surrounding the shoes and boots and their differences. What really differentiates them? Have you also find yourself in complicated situations in trying to differentiate them?
Boots are actually footwear covering not just the feet but the ankles as well and, at times, the lower leg. The shoes, on the other hand, are known to cover and protect the feet and commonly stay below your ankles.
When it comes to hiking, hiking shoes are more flexible and softer than hiking boots. These are not as tricky to fit and do not require breaking in. The shoes are better choices for gentle terrain and dry weather, and the hiking boots are good on wet conditions. Hiking shoes are also sturdy and provide more protection against elements and rugged trails.
Shoes and boots differ in many ways, such as:
- Construction-shoes covers and protects the feet while boots cover the feet, ankle and the entire lower leg
- Purpose-shoes can be used during harsh conditions while boots also have their special purpose such as fashion
- Accessories-shoes and boots have different accessories that bring out the best in them
- Materials used during the construction-In my own opinion, the types of materials used can be deciding factors when choosing footwear. And different shoes are crafted from different sets of materials depending on how these shoes will be used
Prices-shoes and boots’ prices vary a lot. There are shoes that are more costly than boots, but there are also boots that are more expensive than shoes.